No. 150. Monday-Tuesday, December 7-8, 2020
• From the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team
• Email: editor@FVNews.com.au or Ash@Long.com.au
• Subscribe/Unsubscribe HERE
• FVNews Daily is also available at the website: www.FVNews.com.au
• All Back Copies are available at: https://fvnews.com.au/wp/back-copies/
What’s On (44 listings)
Please notify us about your event.
Please include date, time, talk details, attire, and a link.
Monday, December 7
• 2.30pm. Funeral Service for Wor. Bro. John Henry Pill. At Le Pine, 132 Mr Dandenong Rd, Croydon.
• 7pm. City of Footscray-Wyndham Lodge. LINK ID: 232 252 0127. Passcode: CFW239
• 7.15pm. Rosebank Lodge. Meeting at Fyansford Hotel. Food and drinks at own cost. Brethren only.
• 7.30pm. Ballarat St George Mark Lodge. Talk: Glen Hollibone, ‘The English Tracing Board’. Meeting ID 899 0481 1206. Passcode: 463008
• 7.30pm. Lodge Garibaldi. LINK
Tuesday, December 8
• 10am. Essendon Mark Lodge. Talk: Bro. Randall, ‘Bro. Rudyard Kipling’. LINK Meeting ID: 881 1609 4003. Passcode: 56
• 7pm. Peace and Loyalty Lodge. Talk: Bill Jones, ‘Freemasonry. Some common images explored’. LINK
• 7.30pm. Brighton District Lodge. Trivia Quiz. LINK Meeting ID:8977742458. Passcode: 214765
Wednesday, December 9
• 5.30pm. Traralgon Lodge. At Traralgon Bowls Club.• 6.30pm-6pm. Williamstown Lodge. Virtual Christmas Dinner. Attire: Something Christmas. Trivia via Kahoot. LINK Meeting ID: 612 821 4334. Passcode: 105105
• 7pm: Members and Freemasons. 7.35pm: Non Freemasons and Guests. Monash Lodge. Talk: Cyber Security. Ladies’ Night. LINK Meeting ID: 892 9618 1374. Passcode: 417831
• 7.15pm. 7.30pm: Visitors. Northern United Chapter. Talk: ‘Brewing Beer’. LINK Meeting ID: 880 0425 1707. Passcode: 079118
• 7.30pm. Hiram Lodge of Mark Master Masons. Talk: Sam Agombar, ‘Astrophysics for Ordinary People’. Attire: Casual. LINK to come.
• 7.30pm. Warrnambool Lodge of Mark Master Masons. Talk: The Craftsman’s Mark. LINK Meeting ID: 811 8085 4961. Passcode: 659402
Thursday, December 10
• TBA. Union Lodge of North Gippsland At Bairnsdale Club. Contact: Paul Brooks.
• 6.30pm. Union Lodge. Christmas Break-Up. At Bairnsdale Club. Contact: Joe Lawrence.• 7pm. Peace and Loyalty Lodge. Talk: Bill Jones, ‘Freemasonry. Some common images explored’.
• 7.30pm.Antient York Lodge. Talk: ‘Where To From Here?’ LINK to come
• 7.30pm.Cohuna Lodge. Guest Speaker TBA. LINK Meeting ID: 891 5902 9647. Passcode: 857504
• 7.30pm. Gardenvale Chapter. Talk: Craig Spendlove, ‘Rebellion In The Wilderness’. LINK Meeting ID: 895 5957 2846. Passcode: 091524
• 7.30pm.Lodge of Australia Felix. Discussion: Summary of the year. Attire: Christmas themed. LINK Meeting ID: 892 902 3214. Passcode: felix10dec
Friday, December 11
• 7pm. Phillip Island Lodge. Christmas Dinner for Members, Partners and Friends. At Citrus and Vine Restaurant. Replaces Lodge Meeting. Contact: Colin, 0402 483 404.
• 7.30pm. Bairnsdale Daylight Lodge. Talk: Paul Brennand, ‘English Freemasonry during WWI and WWII’. LINK
Saturday, December 12
• 12 Noon. Sale of Myrtleford Masonic Centre to Scouts Victoria. Media Event.
• 4.30pm-8pm. Sunbury Lodge. Celebrating end of 2020. At Lions Park, Sunbury. Neil Addison, 0409 504 684.
Sunday, December 13
• TBA. Lodge Garibaldi. Lodge Picnic.Queens Park, Moonee Ponds.
• 11am. Gippsland Lakes. Installation Meeting, and Banquet and Widows function. Abbreviated Installation of Graeme Nightingale. At Lake Tyers Angling Club, Lake Tyers Beach Rd.
• 12 Noon. Argyle Lodge and Friends. Christmas Barbecue. At Boolarra Railway Park. BYO everything. Peter Lonie, 0423 269 415.
• 6.30pm. Mildura Lodge. Christmas Dinner. At Mildura Golf Resort. (Preceded by 1pm-5pm barbecue at Nowingi Place).
• 7pm. Walhalla Lodge. Talk: Russell Griffiths on his tour of duty in Northern Ireland with the British Army. LINK Meeting ID: 998 3505 1792. Passcode: 647865
Monday, December 14
• 6.30pm. Wimmera Lodge. Christmas Dinner. Face-to-face at Horsham Sports and Community Club.
Tuesday, December 15
• 7.30pm. Hamilton Grange Lodge. Talk: Scott Loxley, Major Fundraising Walk. LINK Meeting ID: 889 1992 2824
• 7.30pm. Middle Park Lodge. Festive Social Night (Zoom). BYO Everything. LINK Meeting ID: 826 5537 9380. Password: 458962
Wednesday, December 16
• 7.30pm. Freemasons Victoria Quarterly Communication or Business Meeting. LINK TBA
Thursday, December 17
• 7pm. Prospect Hill Mark Lodge. Talk: Peter White, ‘Walking the Kokoda Track – A Personal Experience’. Dress: Lodge Officers: collar and tie, Visitors: smart casual. LINK Meeting ID: 857 0379 5106. Passcode: 951227
Friday, December 18
• 7pm. Bairnsdale Daylight Lodge. Christmas Luncheon. At Nicholson Hotel. Jim Jolly, 0427 458 833.
Saturday, December 19
• 1pm.Sunshine Wisdom Lodge. End of Year Late Lunch Celebration. Lunch served at 2pm. At Green Gully Soccer Club. Adults, $49; Children, Free. Booking: www.trybooking.com
• 6pm.Lowan Lodge. Christmas Party. At Rhys and Lem’s house/garden. RSVP 0410 232 996.
Sunday, December 20
• All Day. Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. Bunnings Mernda Sausage Sizzle.
• 11am. Lodge Walhalla. Working Bee.
Monday, December 21
• 7.30pm. Good Companions Lodge. Partners in the South Christmas Dinner Meeting. At Mulgrave Country Club. (No Lodge Meeting)
Saturday, December 26
• All Day. Union Lodge of North Gippsland. Bunnings Bairnsdale Sausage Sizzle.
Sunday, December 27
• 7.30pm. Masonic Festival of St John. Speakers: Neil Morse, John Molnar, Richard Elkington, Ari Indra. LINK Meeting ID: 858 0585 9809. Passcode: 466048
Monday, January 18
• 7.30pm. United Wimmera Mark and Royal Ark Mariner Lodges Combined Meeting (Zoom). Talk: Len Lacey, new year theme. RSVP by EMAIL by Fri., Dec. 18 to Len Baker.
Today’s Videos are selected by Craig Spendlove
• Grand Lodge of Ireland. (23:54) WATCH
• Masonic Temples and Freemasonry In Southern India. (50:30) WATCH
• Highlights of the Installation of Grand Master (Ireland). (05:09) WATCH
Vale Manfred Braun
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above of Bro. Manfred Braun of the Williamstown Lodge, onNovember 26, aged 82. Bro Braun was a Master Mason, initiated into the Verdon Lodge No. 395 on July 7, 1986.
Vale John Pill
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above of Wor. Bro. John Henry Pill, at the age of 102. He was Past Master of Lord Nelson Craft Lodge, former Companion of the Victorian Washington Holy Royal Arch Chapter. He served in the 2/15 Field Ambulance in New Guinea in World War II. His funeral service is at 2,30pm today (Monday, Dec. 7) at Le Pine, 132 Mt Dandenong Rd, Croydon. he was husband of Myra for 77 years, father of Helen and John, father-in-law of Peter and Don, grandfather of Simon and wife Aurell, great-grandfather to Isla and Isaac.
Vale David Short
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above of Wor. Bro. David Short PGStdB, on Thursday (Dec. 3). He requested a Masonic Commemoration as part of his Funeral Service. This will be conducted by Lodge of Amity Director of Ceremonies, Eric Crookes. Contact: Ron Williamson,
0409 932 661.
Grand Master’s Video
• Richard Elkington has recorded a new video for members. (02:39) WATCH
Video: Sleep Bus
• Adam Woledge forwards this LINK about Williamstown Lodge making a donation towards Sleep Bus.
• Freemasons Victoria Western District is conducting a donation drive for non-perishable food items. Donations will be made to the Greek Orthodox Community Church of St Paraskevi, St Albans. Contact: Emmanuel Marabeliotakis, 0450 876 112. Collection will conclude Sunday (Dec. 13).
70-year jewel for Aleck
• Harry Adlerstein writes: “On Sunday afternoon (Dec. 6) MWor. Bro. Hillel Benedykt PGM presented RWor. Bro. Aleck Miller PSGW OAM – Mount Scopus and Collegians Lodge – with his 70 year Service Jewel. Hillel was accompanied by the WM and several Brethren of Mount Scopus and Collegians Lodge. The presentation was done in an interview Q and A style and RWBro Aleck happily spoke about his life and achievements both personal and Masonically.”
Aussie Masons show generosity
• The Mudgee Guardian (NSW) reports: “The family of Hunter Locke-Mair have expressed their gratitude for the community support the campaign for a Smart Pup for their son has received, with the latest show of generosity coming from Lodge Wyaldra (the Gulgong Freemasons).” LINK
• Barry Minster, Grand Almoner, is repairing well after serious surgery on his birthday weekend.
• Rhys Watson is newly elected President of the Kelvin Club.
• The pre-Christmas workload defeated us last Friday (Dec. 4). There was no FVDaily News issue. Our apologies.
Masonic Christmas Project
• WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News (ABC, USA) reports that the Jackson Masonic Lodge No 45 (Tenn.) held its ninth annual Masonic Christmas Project. “David Vince, Project Chairman for the Masonic Christmas Project, says over 25 kids were there for this year’s event. Kids were able to pick out an assortment of gifts. Vince says the big stuffed teddy bears are always a hit. Everyone who attended the event was also invited to a “Wrap Up Party” to wrap their gifts. Vince says the wrapping paper was provided by Big Lots.” LINK
• In Your Area (UK)reports that Essex Freemasons Community Fund has won the ultimate ‘Community Top Team Award – Heroes of Pandemic Essex‘ for the thousands of visors, hand sanitiser and PPE they supplied to Care Homes, NHS Community Staff, Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and some East of England Ambulance Stations. LINK
• We are building FVNews to be a vital daily guide to Masonry in Victoria. You can have your free copy emailed to your inbox. Use the ‘Subscribe’ option at www.FVNews.com.au We welcomeBrendon Wallace, Richard Burman,
• Amongst those who assisted with contributions to this edition of FVNews Daily have been: Richard Elkington, Craig Spendlove, Harry Adlerstein, Russell King, Barry Minster, Russell Hicken, Ross Broad, Ian Samuel, Jeff Denison, Murray Powers, Joe Lawrence, Len Baker, David Grant, Ron Swift, Ron Williamson, Graham Dines, Adam Woledge, Justin Lodge, Emmanuel Marabeliotakis, Greg Todio
Please Send Your Summons
• Lodges can assist by sending emails about every lodge meeting and event to editor@FVNews.com.au – please include us on your Lodge Summons mailing list.
• Seddon, Richard John (1845-1906) – Originally born in Eccleston, St Helens, Lancashire, England, Richard Seddon eventually became the longest serving Prime Minister of New Zealand and is regarded by some as being one of its greatest leaders (1893–1906). A dedicated Mason, Seddon served as Grand Master of New Zealand (1898–1900).
– Timothy Horton
• Masonic Etiquette: “No practical jokes nor off-colour stories. Why? The great lessons of Masonry, which are taught by our ritual, should never be demeaned by levity or pranks. The lodge room is not a proper location for the telling of practical jokes, pranks, horseplay nor off-colour stories.” LINK
• Five points of fellowship as applied to another Brother:
• Hand – friendship and support to him
• Feet – unite in mutual defence and support with him
• Posture of daily supplication – see to his needs, weaknesses and necessities
• Breast – safeguard his secrets (except for offences contrary to civil and religious law)
• Honour – preserve his honour and repel slanders of his name.
The Last Word
• “One day at a time, one round at a time, one step at time.” – Brandon Garic Notch
INFORMATION TO KNOW
FVNews is published by Bro. Ash Long, Chair of the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team of Freemasons Victoria.
Phone: 0450 399 932.
FVNews is an opt-in email. If, for any reason, you would prefer not to receive our emails, simply reply to editor@FVNews.com.au or fill out the Unsubscribe form at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/ – type OPT OUT in the subject line, and please include your email address. Or use the unsubscribe option at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/
DISCLAIMER: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text of FVNews belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (Freemasons Victoria) organisation, committee or other group or individual. Readers should take all steps necessary to ascertain that information you receive from FVNews is correct and has been verified. FVNews assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in FVNews is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness