No. 184. Thursday, April 15, 2021
• From the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team
• Email: editor@FVNews.com.au or Ash@Long.com.au
• Subscribe/Unsubscribe HERE
• FVNews is also available at the website: www.FVNews.com.au
• All Back Copies are available at: https://fvnews.com.au/wp/back-copies/
What’s On (85 listings)
UPDATED EACH EDITION
Please notify us about your event.
Please include date, time, talk details, attire, and a link or location.
Thursday, April 22
• TBA. Revival Lodge. Vacant Chair Ceremony. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Friday, April 23
• 6.30pm. Victorian Lodge of Research. Installation of Wor. Bro. Dr Lewis Allan. Peter Thornton Memorial Lecture. Dinner at Vatutto Restaurant, Ivanhoe. RSVP: April 14. Lecture on ZOOM. Password: 121476. Meeting ID: 836 2663 6235
Saturday, April 24
• 3pm. Garibaldi Lodge. Installation by 2021 Lodge with Matt Donato. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 6pm. Wimmera Lode. Annual ANZAC Meeting. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. First Degree. At Horsham Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Prince of Wales Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team. At Smythesdale Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Maritime Lodge. Double Second Degree. At Williamstown Masonic Centre.
Sunday, April 25 – ANZAC Day
• Throughout Day. Dawn Service, Marches across Victoria.
Monday, April 26
• TBA. Baden Powell Lodge. First Degree. At Waverley Masonic Centre.
• TBA. Metropolis Lodge. Vacant Chair. First Degree Tracing Board. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
• 9.30am for 10am. Derrimut Daylight Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Richard Elkington. At Freemasons Sunshine. Bookings essential: Bill Schrank, 0400 867 123.
• 6.30pm. Baxter Lodge. 2021 Team with Tony Bucca. At Frankston and District Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Lodge of Quest. Regular Meeting. At Ringwood Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Yarraville Lodge. Talk: ‘Nurses In The Theatre of War’. Vacant Chair Ceremony. At Yarraville Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 27
• TBA. Admiral Collingwood Lodge. Vacant Chair. 25-Year and 40-Year Badges. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 10am. Funeral Service for Mrs Jan Williams. At Ballara Receptions, Eltham.
• 6pm. Epicurean Lodge. Vacant Chair Remembrance: David Thompson. 50-Year Jewel: Jim Long. At Geelong Masonic Centre. Dinner at Mambo Towers.
• 6.30pm. Mt Franklin St George Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Freemasons Daylesford.
• 6.30pm. Warragul Lodge. Installation by Gippsland team with Chris Scott. At West Gippsland Masonic Centre, Warragul
• 7pm. Middle Park Lodge. First Degree. 60-year jewel to Chester Toogood. At Freemasons Melbourne. BOOK
• 7pm. Mount Scopus and Collegians Lodge. 400th meeting. Talk: History of the Lodge, by Harry Adlerstein. Double Second Degree. BOOK.
• 7.30pm. City of Footscray-Wyndham Lodge. Emergency Meeting. First Degree. At Western Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Djerriwarrh Lodge. Obligation. First Degree. At Melton Masonic Centre.
Wednesday, April 28
• TBA. Werribee Mark Lodge. Double Advancement Ceremony. At Werribee Masonic Centre.
• TBA. Weston Street United Lodge. Master’s Last Night. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Lodge Fraternal. Double First Degree. 50-Year Jewel for David Kweitel. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 7.30pm. King David Lodge. Double Second Degree. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 7.30pm. Yarra Glen Lodge. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Lilydale Masonic Centre.
Thursday, April 29
• NIL. Endeavour Virtual Lodge (Online). No meeting this month.
Saturday, May 1
• 10.30am. Rosebank Lodge. Installation by John Patterson and Bellarine and Otway Team. Attire: Lounge Suit, or jacket and tie. Two-course hot lunch. $25 banquet fee. At Beeac Masonic Centre.
• 3pm. Union Lodge of North Gippsland. Installation 2021 Team. At Bairnsdale Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Clifton Hill Lodge. Installation. By Tony Bucca and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Melbourne.
• 4pm. Kyabram Lodge. Installation by Hillel Benedykt and Don Reynolds, with 2015 and 2016 teams. At Kyabram Masonic Centre.
Sunday, May 2
• 10am. Commonwealth Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkington and Gippsland Team. At Mirboo North Masonic Centre. Banquet at 1pm at Mirboo North Senior Citizens’ Centre, Baromi Park. $25. RSVP: Andrew Geary, 0400 527 689
Tuesday, May 4
• 6.30pm. Lodge of Commerce. Rehearsal.
• 7pm for 7.30pm. Sunshine Wisdom Lodge. Master Felix Pintado’s Last Night. Tickets: $25. BOOK
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program MAP3. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
Wednesday, May 5
• 8am-4pm. Wimmera Lodge. Sausage Sizzle. At Bunnings Horsham, Wilson St.
• 6.30pm. Glenroy Lodge. Installation by Andrew McPhee and 2021 Team. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
Thursday, May 6
• 6.30pm. Point Nepean Lodge. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Sorrento Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Killara Lodge. Double Second Degree. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 7.15pm. Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. 60-Year Jewel to Howard Purcell. Second Degree. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
Saturday, May 8
• 2.30pm. Sunbury Lodge. Installation by Highlanders. At Goonawarra Community Centre.
• 3.30pm. Old Melburnians Lodge. Installation of Will Billings by Barry Reaper and 2019 Team. At Freemasons Bayside. 6.30pm. Festive Board. Partners and guests. At a private club, 22 Park St, Brighton. BOOK
• 4pm. Colac Lodge. Installation by Tony Bucca and 2021 Team. At Colac Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Henty Re-Consecration. By Richard Elkington and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Mount Waverley.
Monday, May 10
• 5.30pm. Lodge of Commerce. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Melbourne.
Tuesday, May 11
• TBC. New Members’ Night. With Richard Elkington and Tony Bucca. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 6.30pm. Robbie Burns Phoenix Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkington and 2021 Team. At Western Masonic Centre.
Thursday, May 13
• 7pm. Gisborne Lodge. Installation by John McTaggart and 2021 Team. At Gisborne Masonic Centre.
Friday, May 14
• 7pm. Rutherglen Lodge. Installation: John Lloyd. District Team led by Bill Schultz. EMAIL
• 7.30pm. Altona Lodge. First Degree. Candidate is a Lewis (just turned 18). At Williamstown Masonic Centre.
Saturday, May 15
• TBC. The Sunshine Wisdom Lodge. Installation by Tony Bucca and 2021 Team. At Western Masonic Centre.
• 8am-4pm. Altona Lodge. Sausage Sizzle at Bunnings Altona, Cnr Millers and Ross Rds, Altona.
• 9.30am. Bairnsdale Daylight Lodge. Installation by Chris Scott and Gippsland Team. At Bairnsdale Masonic Centre.
• 10am. Hamilton Grange Lodge. Installation by John Patterson and Bellarine-Otway Team. At Hamilton Masonic Centre.
• 3.30pm. Lara Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkinmgton and 2021 Team. At Lara Masonic Centre.
• 5pm. Rutherglen Lodge. Installation by Bill Scchultz and North East Team. At Rutherglen Masonic Centre.
Sunday, May 16
• 10am. Masonic Advancement Program MAP1. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Walhalla Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkington and Gippsland Team. At Freemasons Walhalla.
Monday, May 17
• 7pm. United Wimmera Royal Ark Mariner Lodge. Lecture. At Ararat Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Gippsland Lakes Lodge. Presentation of District Co-Ordinator Collar by Richard Elkington. At Lakes Entrance Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, May 18
• 9.30am. Lodge of the Great Ocean Road. Installation by John Patterson and Bellarine-Otway Team. At Torquay Improvement Building.
• 9.30am. Woolamai Daylight Lodge. Installation by South Gippsland Team. At Wonthaggi Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Henty Lodge. Installation by Roy Alderton and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Mount Waverley.
Wednesday, May 19
• 7.30pm. Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team. Committee Meeting by Zoom. Special Focus: Stakeholder Relations.
Thursday, May 20
• 6.30pm. Mornington Lodge. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Mornington Masonic Centre.
Friday, May 21
• 7pm. Bayside District Lodges. 160th Anniversary Ball. Entertainment: Wilbur Wilde and the Troubleshooters, Kingsfords. Talk: Richard Elkington. In aid of Les Twentyman Foundation. BOOK
Saturday, May 22
• 3pm. Traralgon Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkington and 2021 Team. At Latrobe Valley Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Djerriwarrh Lodge. Installation by Highlanders Team. At Freemasons Bacchus Marsh.
• 4pm. St Andrews In The South Lodge. Installation by Bill Lodge and Bellarine-Otway Team. Jewel presentation to Terry Lodge. At Freemasons Geelong.
• 4.30pm. Lowan Lodge. Installation by John McTaggart and 2021 Team. At Nhill Masonic Centre.
• 5.30pm. Lodge Cornucopia. Installation by Chris Scott and Gippsland Team. At Warragul Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Baden Powell Lodge. Installation by Tony Bucca and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Mount Waverley.
Sunday, May 23
• 3pm. King David Lodge. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Bayside Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, May 25
• 7.30pm. Wimmera Lodge. First Degree. At Horsham Masonic Centre.
Wednesday, May 26
• 6.30pm. Lodge Fraternal. Installation by Hillel Benedykt and Team of Past Masters. At Bayside Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Weston Street United Lodge. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
Thursday, May 27
• 6.30pm. Morwell Lodge. Installation by Tony Bucca and 2021 Team. At Latrobe Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Western District Lodges. MAP1 and MAP2 Presentations. Phone: 0418 175 282. At Western Masonic Centre. 8pm. MAP3 Presentation.
Friday, May 28
• 7.15pm. Mordialloc Lodge of Charity. Annual Firemen’s Night. Attended by Richard Elkington. At South Eastern Masonic Centre.
Saturday, May 29
• TBA. Lodge Belvoir. Installation by John Rodrigo and 2021 Team. At Wodonga Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Tresco and Chisel United Lodge. Installation by John McTaggart and 2021 Team. At Freemasons Swan Hill.
• 5pm. Mitchell Lodge. Installation by Richard Elkington and 2021 Team. At Broadford Masonic Centre.
Sunday, May 30
• 10am. Masonic Church Service. Skipton St Uniting Church, Ballarat.
Saturday, June 5
• 7pm. Gregorios Lodge. Fundraising Dinner for Fronditha Care. At Merrimu Receptions, 1300 Dandenong Rd, Murrumbeena. BOOK
Saturday, June 19
• 9am-3pm. Lodge Secretary’s Course. By Eric Williams and Barry Reaper. Cost: $20. Lunch and refreshments provided. At Greensborough Masonic Centre. BOOK
• Grand Master’s Chat. (37:37) WATCH
Vale Rev. John Macmillan
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above above of Rev. John Macmillan, PSGW, Grand Chaplain 1987-1990. 55 years a Freemason. September 4, 1935-January 7, 2021. Aged 85. Eldest son of Beatrice and Ian (both dec). Husband of Glennis (dec). Father of Ruth, Alison and Philip, father-in-law of Peter Marquand and Mark Hamilton. Brother of Roger and James, and brother-in-law to Xandra and Heather. He died peacefully in the presence of his three children at the Royal Freemasons Ballarat.
Vale Kevin Owens
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above above of RWBro. Kevin Owens PJGW. Kevin was a member of Freemasonry for more than 60 years and has played an active role in all but a couple, as his health became an issue in recent times.
• Jeff Cripps writes: “Kevin gave many years of service on the United Preston Masonic Hall Trust. Kevin and his building partner were responsible for the lodge room we now use and the small south. Kevin was responsible for the floor in the main South, which was put in place following some water damage caused by ‘flooding during a heavy storm, some time ago. Kevin was a member of the Northern District Installation Team for a number of years
• “Kevin was a member of Preston Lodge, later Preston Northcote Lodge No.148, 1959-2011; Thomastown Lodge No. 833, 1963-1967;Pascoe Vale Daylight Lodge No.483, 2009-2018; Antient York Lodge No. 80, 2011-2021. He was a member of both Mark and Chapter. A dedicated and committed Freemason who has given of his time and energy in promoting the order and in actively pursuing the aims and principles of Freemasonry. RWBro. K. Owens PJGW passed peacefully to the Grand Lodge Above in the early hours of Tuesday morning.“
Vale June Mackenzie
• We regret to advise of the passing on Tuesday (Apr. 20) of June Mackenzie, widow of the late Wor. Bro. Frank Mackenzie, a PM of Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. Funeral service details are yet to be announced.
Vale Jan Williams
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above above of Mrs Jan (Janet Flora) Williams, widow of RWBro Bill Williams (PDGM Mark Degree). Her funeral is at 10am on Tuesday, April 27 at Ballara Receptions, Eltham.
Grand Master’s Video
• WATCH Grand Master Richard Elkington presents a record-breaking 37-minute video, talking about the latest news, including:
• What happened at the SA Grand Installation
• New ideas for Australia-wide co-operation
• Budget time and planning ahead
• Changes within Freemasons Victoria
• New Volunteer Action Teams
• A Masonic Centre of Excellence
• Great Optimism Amongst Members
• Works Committee Initiatives Across Victoria
• Increasing Participation among newer, younger members
• Communications in the community
• New ideas in country Victoria
• The Good Friday Appeal
• Tribute to Bro. Prince PhilipWonderful Story of Freemasonry (1)
• Bob Pullin writes: “In 2019, Timboon Lodge No. 821 was down and out, due mainly to an ageing population of its members, deaths and lack of candidates.Timboon a small rural town, population 1250 in South West Victoria, was preparing to hand in its warrant as there seemed no way the lodge could continue on, as it relied on visitors to fill the offices to open the lodge.
• “Secretary Wor. Bro. Kelvin Grant wanted to initiate his son Matt before the lodge closed down, so that Matt could rightly say ‘Timboon Lodge is my Mother Lodge’. Word was sent to lodges in nearby towns, Camperdown, Colac and Warrnambool, that Kelvin wished to initiate his son but Timboon desperately needed brethren to fill the offices and present the charges.
• “Timboon Lodge was inundated with offers of help from all around the district. On the night the lodge room was at full capacity, something that hadn’t happened at Timboon for years and Matt Grant was initiated into Freemasonry.”
Wonderful Story of Freemasonry (2)
• Bob Pullin continues: “Then COVID-19 struck and Masonic ceremonial meetings ground to a halt in 2020. However Bro. Matt must have been impressed with his first night as a freemason, because whilst not being able to attend lodge, he spoke to his mates about this wonderful institution, as a result he convinced six of his mates to join.
• “Later this month (April 2021) Bro. Matt is doing his second degree and on the lodge summons are the names of the six men wishing to join Timboon Lodge. Again offers from District brethren have assured that there will be sufficient experienced brethren available to conduct the first degree ceremonies and this support will continue until Timboon is in a position to fill all of its offices with its own members. So the future of Timboon Lodge No. 821 is assured and will continue to shine in this rural town, in South West Victoria.“
Comms VAT expands
• Philip Bateman, from Lodge Devotion, has accepted an invitation to become a member of the Freemasons Victoria Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team.
• Philip is principal of Bravo Charlie of Fitzroy, a video production company that has a focus in member and charity recipient testimonials, amongst many other major projects. His firm takes a high-level approach to stakeholder relations. Philip has a great vision for how lodges and members across Victoria can be empowered to add to our organisation’s future communications and marketing.
• Philip will bring further working knowledge and deep experience to enthusiastic efforts in expanding the Freemasons Victoria message across additional platforms such as Youtube and Instagram (and others).
Be A Homes Ambassador
• John McLaughlan writes: “The Homes Ambassador Program is a collaborative initiative between Royal Freemasons and Freemasons Victoria to work more closely together and enhance the long-standing relationship between the Homes and Masonic Lodges. A Homes Ambassador provides a strong link between their Lodge and the Homes and assists in promoting the Mission of the Homes, to assist our customers to live a secure, dignified and rewarding life. For more information on becoming a Homes Ambassador, we encourage you to register your interest in attending an online information session, or request an information pack be sent to you in the mail.” LINK
• The theme for the Freemasons Victoria full-page recruitment full-page to be published in 35 local government areas next week is ‘I Am A Freemason. I Believe Mankind Should Be Just That.’
• The Staunton River Masonic Lodge will be hosting its tenth annual catfish tournament, rep[orts the Altavista Journal (USA). READ MORE
Watch lecture on Zoom
• The Victorian Lodge of Research, at its 6.30pm Installation Meeting of Lewis Allan this Friday (Apr. 23), will incorporate the Peter Thornton Memorial Lecture to be delivered by Ash Long. Topic” Colourful Victorian Freemasons in the black-and-white press of the 1800s. The lecture will be shared via ZOOM.
Password: 121476. Meeting ID: 836 2663 6235
Gregorios Lodge Fundraiser Dinner Dance
• George Charalambidis advises: “Gregorios Lodge has been by Fronditha Care’s side since the 1980s. Recently with donations from the lodge and with the assistance from FMV Foundation in 2015 and 2016, there has been the construction of a landscaped garden for the 60 residents in the St Albans facility. The landscaped garden has added to the resident’s health and wellbeing and is also a place where people gather and socialise. The difference it makes to the daily life of the care home is invaluable. Fronditha Care is now constructing a new 92-bed care home in St Albans that will include a specialised 30-bed memory support unit. Construction began in December 2019 and is due for completion mid-2021.Gregorios Lodge once again is extending its support to Fronditha Care to assist in purchasing equipment that the residents will require.”
• The dinner dance will be held from 7pm on Saturday, June 5 at Merrimu Receptions, 1300 Dandenong Rd, Murrumbeena. $140 adults, $$0 children (3-12). Ticvket price includes canapes and pre-drinks, three-course meal, coffee/tea and chocolate, wine, beer and soft drinks. Performances by Glendi Band, Manasis Dance Group and violinist Peter Sampsonidis. Attire: men, lounge suit; ladies, after 5. RSVP: May 31. BOOK
• Somerset Freemasons donated £175,000 to charities and good causes, reports the County Gazette (UK). READ MORE
• We are building FVNews to be a vital guide to Masonry in Victoria. You can have your free copy emailed to your inbox. Use the ‘Subscribe’ option at www.FVNews.com.au We welcome Jason Liddle, Harold Melecio, Philip Bateman, David Perry
• Amongst those who assisted with contributions (and lots of personal encouragement and recovery wishes) have included: Richard Elkington, Luke Potter, Bob Pullin, David Webb, Barry Minster, Tony Bucca, Graeme Hawke, Philip Bateman, David Waugh, Bob Hetherington, John McLaughlan, Stuart Pike, Jeff Cripps, David Hendel, Brendan Kyne, John Rosenberg, George Charalambidis, Peter Harris, Richard Clark, Tony McDonall, Roy Alderton, Barry and Jill Dyce, Clifford Smart, Ken Calder, Gary Le Rossignol (SA/NT), David Heazlewood, Jodi Wilson, Robert Hocking, Rick Wynholt, John Cantrill, Haydn Gregson, Robert Bass, Alan Maggs, Russell King, Stuart Chalmers, Peter Hamilton, Stuart McArthur, Gary Edwards, Damien Hudson, Mervyn Hallam, Ron Goodburn, Brian Bennett, Michael Fernando, Boon Tan, Andy Chapman, Len Greenwood, Rhys Webb, Justin Lodge, Steve Marsh, Gus Martonhelyi, John Zalewski, Russell Porter, Gavin Myers, Richard Burman, Laurie Jacobs, Ross Broad, John McTaggart
Please Send Your Summons
• Lodges can assist FVNews by sending emails about every lodge meeting and event to editor@FVNews.com.au – please include us on your Lodge Summons mailing list.
Famous Masonic Characters
• Bro Sir Arthur William Fadden GCMG (1894-1972) 13th Prime Minister of Australia . Initiated into Freemasonry at Caledonia Lodge No 737, Scottish Constitution in Queensland on July 20, 1915. (Thanks to Damien Hudson, Lodge Devotion.)
• Masonic Etiquette. “Side” talk while a degree is being conferred is considered bad manners. Why? The lodge room is a Temple of the Great Architect of the Universe. The brethren within are working to make the best ashlars (stones) for His spiritual temple. Just as it is impolite to talk in a church, synagogue or mosque service, so it is improper to distract the officers, the workers in the degree or the candidate. Talking without asking to do so shows irreverence for the proceedings. God’s house is not for social conversation within the lodge room. It is for worship and learning the lesson of the day which is being taught. Unless you have requested of the Master to speak, silence is the rule. This also means no whispering.” – Masonic-Lodge-of-Education.com
• “More good things in life are lost by indifference than ever were lost by active hostility,” – Bro. Sir Robert Menzies, former Australian Prime Minister.
The Last Word
• “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.” – Bro. Oscar Wilde
INFORMATION TO KNOW
FVNews is published by VWor. Bro. Ash Long, Chair of the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team of Freemasons Victoria. Phone: 0450 399 932.
FVNews is an opt-in email. If, for any reason, you would prefer not to receive our emails, simply reply to editor@FVNews.com.au or fill out the Unsubscribe form at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/ – type OPT OUT in the subject line, and please include your email address. Or use the unsubscribe option at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/
DISCLAIMER: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text of FVNews belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (Freemasons Victoria) organisation, committee or other group or individual. Readers should take all steps necessary to ascertain that information you receive from FVNews is correct and has been verified. FVNews assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in FVNews is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness