No. 180. Thursday, March 25, 2021
Now Published on Mondays and Thursdays
• From the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team
• Email: editor@FVNews.com.au or Ash@Long.com.au
• Subscribe/Unsubscribe HERE
• FVNews is also available at the website: www.FVNews.com.au
• All Back Copies are available at: https://fvnews.com.au/wp/back-copies/
What’s On (63 listings)
UPDATED EACH EDITION
Please notify us about your event.
Please include date, time, talk details, attire, and a link or location.
Thursday, March 25
• TBA. Revival Lodge. First Degree. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Creswick Havilah Lodge. Second Degree. At Creswick Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Morwell Lodge. First Degree. At Masonic Centre, Traralgon.
• NIL. Lodge of Amity. Not meeting in March.
Friday, March 26
• 6pm. Grand Installation Rehearsal. At Freemasons Bayside.
• NIL. Lodge of Research. No meeting this month.
• NIL. Endeavour Lodge. Online. No meeting this month.
Saturday, March 27
• 11am. Grand Re-Installation. 2021 Team. At Freemasons Bayside. WATCH
• 11am. View the Grand Re-Installation. Followed by lunch, drinks. At Western Masonic Centre, Sunshine West. BOOK
• 2pm. Huon Daylight Lodge. Installation by 108 Team. At Freemasons Wodonga.
Sunday, March 28
• 10am. Masonic Advancement Program. First Degree. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Monday, March 29
• 7.30pm. Masonic Caravan Club. LINK Meeting ID: 763 8342 1746. Passcode: 4xYjAU
Tuesday, March 30
• 6pm. St Andrews In The South. Special Meeting. Obligate Master-Elect. Geelong Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Warragul Lodge, Presentation of 50-Year Jewel to Graham Dorling and Bert Rance by Richard Elkington. At West Gippsland Masonic Centre, Warragul.
Wednesday, March 31
• 7.30pm. The Great Debate. NSW v Victoria. ‘Is a belief in a god necessary to be a good Freemason?’ DETAILS Meeting ID: 889 1705 1154
Thursday, April 1
• 7pm. Lodge Killara. ANZAC Tribute. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 7.15pm. Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. Double First Degree. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Victorian Naval and Military Chapter. At East Melbourne.
Friday, April 2 – Good Friday
• All Day. Collections for Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.
Saturday, April 3 – Holy Saturday
• Holiday Weekend
Sunday, April 4 – Easter Sunday
• Holiday Weekend
Monday, April 5 – Easter Monday
• 8am-4pm. Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge. Sausage Sizzle at Bunnings Mernda.
• 7pm. North Melbourne Lodge. Social Meeting.
• 7.30pm. City of Footscray-Wydnham Lodge. First Degree. At Western Masonic Centre, Sunshine West.
• 7.30pm. Commonwealth Lodge. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Mirboo North Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Lodge Garibaldi. At Freemasons Melbourne.
Tuesday, April 6
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program. MAP2. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.Wednesday, April 7
• 6.30pm. Glenroy Lodge. Installation by Team with Andrew McPhee. Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Dimboola Lodge. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Dimboola Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Old Scotch Collegians Lodge. First Degree. At East Melbourne.
Thursday, April 8
• 6pm. Gordon Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Tony Bucca, supported by John Rodrigo. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 8pm: Visitors Admitted. Geelong Lodge of Unity and Prudence. Obligation of Master-Elect David Webb, At Geelong Masonic Centre, Belmont.
Saturday, April 10
• 2pm. Gippsland Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Richard Elkington. At Sale Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Benambra Lodge. Installation by 108 Team with David Keame. At Tallangatta Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Duke of Connaught Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with Chris Scott. At Korumburra Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Stewart Lodge of St Arnaud. Installation of Neville Wharton by the 2021 Country Team. At St Arnaud Masonic Centre.
Sunday, April 11
• 11am. Earl of Dunmore Lodge. Installation of Tony Meechan by Rob McGregor. Richard Elkington at Festive Board. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 8am-4pm. Dimboola Lodge. Bunnings Sausage Sizzle. At Bunnings Horsham.
Monday, April 12
• 5pm. Carisbrook Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Freemasons Carisbrook.
• 7.30pm. City of Abbotsford Chapter. At Collingwood.
• 7.30pm. United Ararat Lodge. Talk by Paul Moralee. At Ararat Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 13
• 10am. Allara Lodge. Installation by Magenta Team with Leonard Kelly.
• 7.30pm. Marnoo Lodge. Second Degree. At Stawell Masonic Centre.
Thursday, April 15
• 9.30am. Sale Daylight Lodge. Installation by Gippsland Team with Chris Scott. At Sale Masonic Centre.
Friday, April 16
• TBA. South Australian Grand Installation.
Saturday, April 17
• 3pm. South Australian Grand Installation.
• 4pm. Koo Wee Rup Lodge. Installation by South Gippsland Team with Paul Vassil. At Koo Wee Rup Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Rupertswood Numurkah Lodge. Installation by North East Team with David Blake. At Numurkah Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Zetland Lodge. By 2021 Country Team with Bob Jones. At Freemasons Kyneton.
Sunday, April 18
• TBA. South Australian Grand Installation.
• 4pm. Melbourne High School Lodge. First Degree. At Melbourne High School.
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program. MAP3. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Monday, April 19
• 9.30am. Eureka Daylight Lodge. By 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Ballarat Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. St George Lodge. First Degree. At Dunolly Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 20
• 6.30pm. Ballarat-Yarowee Lodge. Installation by 2021 Ceremonial Team. 75-Year Jewel to Bill Messer. 65-Year Jewel to Max Matters. At Ballarat Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Moorabbin Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team. At Bayside Masonic Centre.
Friday, April 23
• TBA. Lodge of Research. Truncated Version.
Saturday, April 24
• 3pm. Garibaldi Lodge. Installation by 2021 Lodge with Matt Donato. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Prince of Wales Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team. At Smythesdale Masonic Centre.
Sunday, April 25 – ANZAC Day
• Throughout Day. Dawn Service, Marches across Victoria.
Monday, April 26
• 9.30am. Derrimut Daylight Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Richard Elkington. At Freemasons Sunshine.
• 6.30pm. Baxter Lodge. 2021 Team with Tony Bucca. At Frankston and District Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 27
• 6.30pm. Mt Franklin St George Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Freemasons Daylesford.
• 6.30pm. Warragul Lodge. Installation by Gippsland team with Chris Scott. At West Gippsland Masonic Centre, Warragul
Tuesday, May 4
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program MAP3. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
Sunday, May 16
• 10am. Masonic Advancement Program MAP1. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Friday, May 21
• 7pm. Bayside District Lodges. 160th Anniversary Ball. Entertainment: Wilbur Wilde and the Troubleshooters, Kingsfords. Talk: Richard Elkington. In aid of Les Twentyman Foundation. BOOK
Watch the Grand Re-Installation
• WATCH the Grand Re-Installation of Grand Master of Richard Elkington at 11am this Saturday (Mar. 27). This includes the Proclamation ofTony Bucca (Deputy Grand Master), John Rodrigo (Senior Grand Warden), John McTaggart (Junior Grand Warden). There will also be Investing of Officers for the 2021-22 team. The video will remain on line, so you can watch at a time of your choice.
• A live-streaming event will be held at Western Masonic Centre, Sunshine West, followed by lunch and drinks. BOOK
Grand Lodge Ceremonial Team
• Grand Secretary: Garry Runge. Grand Chaplains: Felix Pindato, Gordon McKenzie. Grand Treasurer: Craig Head. Grand Registrar: Ian Upjohn. Grand Registrar: Barry Minster. Grand Superintendent of Membership: Paul Brennand. Grand Superintendent of Works: Matteo Donato. Grand Inspector of Workings: Wes Turnbull. Grand Superintendent of Communication: Ash Long. Grand Superintendent of Education:Ian Buckingham. Grand Director of Ceremonies: Frank Lombardo. Grand Director of Music: Jim Taylor. Deputy Grand Supt Membership:Neville Wiggins. Deputy Grand Superintendent of Works: Stephen Simpson. Deputy Grand Inspector of Workings: Jim Karabatsos. Deputy Grand Superintendent of Education: Brendan Kyne. Grand Organist: Roger Manderson. Grand Herald: Marc Law. Deputy Grand Director of Ceremonies: Tony Del Nivo. Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies: David Ellwood. Grand Pursuivant: Alan Tyndall. Senior Grand Deacons:David Game, Geoffrey Fraser, Alex Michaelidis. Junior Grand Deacons: Robert Callant, Carl Donadio, Mark Vincent. Grand Sword Bearers:Gary Liew, Russell Sincock, Ian Thompso. Grand Standard Bearers: Phillip Barravecchio, Eric Jones, Graeme Oldfield. Assistant Grand Pursuivant: David Bilton, Adam Dymowski, Neil Hart-Smith. Grand Stewards: Archie Alveraz, John Chbib, Ken Dashwood, Philip Davenport, Kevin Holden, Ari Indra, Mark Lavale, Tim Redpath, Jerry Spiliotis, Peter Waldhauser, John Webster, Neville Wharton, Alf Woods. Grand Tyler: Stretch Jarvis.
Vale Bruce Cornish
• We regret to advise of the passing to the Grand Lodge Above of VWor. Bro Bruce Cornish, PGIWkgs, of Henty Lodge No. 279, on March 1.Personal Pars
• Sean Cross, Deputy District Co-Ordinator, Western District, was married last weekend.
• Howard Purcell is hoping to be discharged from the Austin Hospital – Repat. Campus after Easter.
• Len Jinnette is expected to return home this week from Warringal Hospital.
• David Cooper’s 65-year jewel presentation was featured in the Royal Eaglehawk HRA Chapter Newsletter.
• Norm Dack was presented with his 60-year jewel at the Royal Freemasons Homes at Kangaroo Flat.Busy at Ballarat
• Some 13 members and supporters of the Freemasons Victoria Cycling SIG assembled on Sunday, March 14, on the start line at the Ballarat Cycle Classic, a fundraising event for the Fiona Elsey Cancer Research Institute. Two riders completed the 160km course and 11 completed the 85km course over tough terrain including Mt Buninyong and Mt Egerton. With 100 per cent of entry fees and donations going to the Institute, the team contributed more than $1700 to the events total fundraising of over $228,000. Donations can still be made via the cycling SIG’s fundraising page by clicking on this LINKSurprise for Lowan Lodge
• Lowan Lodge was thrilled when Bro. Rhys Webb received a thank you card and letter from a serviceman that had received one of the care parcels sent last year as a joint Lowan Lodge 107, WWRBLSC, Nhill RSL Sub Branch and St Patrick’s School Nhill to ADF troops overseas. This serviceman, Major David Filmer, wrote that he is a Freemason from Wagga Wagga Lodge 22 in New South Wales. David thanked theNhill community groups for producing these parcels and stated “2020 has been a rough year for many Australians which makes me more thankful for your thoughts of Australians serving overseas”.
• “Wagga Wagga Lodge 22 Secretary VWor. Bro. Owen Sandry also wrote to Lowan Lodge stating: “Brother Filmer said that he had received a care package from the Lowan Lodge in Victoria. What a great gift and a perfect way to acknowledge our defence force, David is a Major and works usually at Kapooka Training Facility, just out of Wagga Wagga and on his return will be invested as our new Junior warden. Thank you for sharing that with us and thank you for your support of ADF.”
Comms Success Stories
• There were 1383 views (958 unique views) to the Quarterly Communications, not including those at live streaming centres around the state. Average watch time was 51:31. Peak viewing time was 8pm.
• Tony Matern and his team have received donated half-page ads in The Local Paper Bayside, Frankston and Mornington Peninsula editions to publicise the Brighton District Lodge 160th Birthday Ball at Sandringham Yacht Club on Friday, May 21. LINK (Page 20)
Swanston St Clothing Drive
• David Todd, Secretary of Geelong Lodge of Unity and Prudence, writes: “Following up on our Bellarine and Otway District Clothing Drivefor the Swanston Street Centre over Summer. This time we collected 26 bags of clothing, which is approx. 250 items of clothing. Donations came in from all over the District this time, it was a great expansion of the pilot run in June 2020. Many of the patients of the Swanston Street Centrearrive with only what they have on them. Swanston Street Centre has a dedicated over 65’s wing and a dedicated women’s wing.”
• “A donation by the Masonic Charity Foundation of Oklahoma will provide hearing aids to low income seniors through a second, generous grant to Oklahoma School for the Deaf,” reports The Ada News. READ MORE
• We are building FVNews to be a vital guide to Masonry in Victoria. You can have your free copy emailed to your inbox. Use the ‘Subscribe’ option at www.FVNews.com.au We welcome Angelo Auciello, Ray Crockett, Peter Weeding, John Zuniga, Patrick Stachan, Norman Hanley, Surennaidoo Naiken, Gerald Newland, Kevin Law, Francis Walsh, Shathees Chandrakumar
• Amongst those who assisted with contributions (and encouragement) to this edition of FVNews have been: Kent Henderson, Brian Bennett, Andrew Geary, Colin Peterson, David Todd, David Aubrey. Ken Calder, Jeffrey Dennison, Craig Spendlove, Alex Thomson, Tony McDonall, Malcolm Mann, Gary Edwards, Emmanuel Marabeliotakis, Glen Richards, Silvio Mignone, Graeme Brown, Rhys Webb, Richard Parkin, Robert Bass, Len Greenwood, Craig Head, Sam Lewin, Graham Berry, Graeme Turpie.
Please Send Your Summons
• Lodges can assist FVNews by sending emails about every lodge meeting and event to editor@FVNews.com.au – please include us on your Lodge Summons mailing list.
Famous Masonic Characters
• Nebuchadnezzar was a warrior-king, often described as the greatest military leader of the Neo-Babylonian empire. He ruled from 605 – 562 BCE in the area around the Tigris-Euphrates basin. His leadership saw numerous military successes and the construction of building works such as the famous Ishtar Gate.
• The 24-Inch Gauge. READ MORE
• “It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.” – Bro. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
The Last Word
• “The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to elicit it, for the greatness is already there.” – James Buchanan
INFORMATION TO KNOW
FVNews is published by Wor. Bro. Ash Long, Chair of the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team of Freemasons Victoria. Phone: 0450 399 932.
FVNews is an opt-in email. If, for any reason, you would prefer not to receive our emails, simply reply to editor@FVNews.com.au or fill out the Unsubscribe form at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/ – type OPT OUT in the subject line, and please include your email address. Or use the unsubscribe option at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/
DISCLAIMER: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text of FVNews belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (Freemasons Victoria) organisation, committee or other group or individual. Readers should take all steps necessary to ascertain that information you receive from FVNews is correct and has been verified. FVNews assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in FVNews is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness