No. 182. Tuesday, April 6, 2021
• From the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team
• Email: editor@FVNews.com.au or Ash@Long.com.au
• Subscribe/Unsubscribe HERE
• FVNews is also available at the website: www.FVNews.com.au
• All Back Copies are available at: https://fvnews.com.au/wp/back-copies/
What’s On (85 listings)
UPDATED EACH EDITION
Please notify us about your event.
Please include date, time, talk details, attire, and a link or location.
Tuesday, April 6
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program. MAP2. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.Wednesday, April 7
• TBA. Melton Lodge of Instruction. The Opening and Closing of the Lodge. At Melton Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Glenroy Lodge. Installation by Team with Andrew McPhee. Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Dimboola Lodge. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Dimboola Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Old Scotch Collegians Lodge. First Degree. At East Melbourne.
• 7.30pm. Whittlesea Lodge. Open and Close. South at Royal Mail Hotel.
Thursday, April 8
• 6pm. Gordon Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Tony Bucca, supported by John Rodrigo. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Gippsland Union Lodge. Obligate Master-Elect. Vacant Chair.
• 7.30pm. Antient York Lodge. Second Degree, At Preston Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Cohuna Lodge. Vacant Chair Ceremony. At Cohuna Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Gisborne Lodge. Obligation of the Master-Elect. At Gisborne Masonic Centre. No South, but drinks afterwards at Telegraph Hotel.
• 8pm: Visitors Admitted. Geelong Lodge of Unity and Prudence. Obligation of Master-Elect David Webb, At Geelong Masonic Centre, Belmont.
Friday, April 9
• 7pm. Altona Lodge. Double First Degree. 60-Year Jewel to Bob Richardson. At Williamstown Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Gregorios Lodge. Master’s Address, Masonic Quiz. At Freemasons Melbourne. South: $50 plus drinks. Aegean Restaurant, 19 Brunswick St, Fitzroy. BOOK
• 7.30pm. Sunbury Lodge. First Degree, Master’s Last Night. At Sunbury.
Saturday, April 10
• 2pm. Gippsland Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Richard Elkington. At Sale Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Benambra Lodge. Installation by 108 Team with David Keame. At Tallangatta Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Duke of Connaught Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with Chris Scott. At Korumburra Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Stewart Lodge of St Arnaud. Installation of Neville Wharton by the 2021 Country Team. At St Arnaud Masonic Centre.
Sunday, April 11
• 11am. Earl of Dunmore Lodge. Installation of Tony Meechan by Rob McGregor. Richard Elkington at Festive Board. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 8am-4pm. Dimboola Lodge. Bunnings Sausage Sizzle. At Bunnings Horsham.
Monday, April 12
• 5pm. Carisbrook Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Freemasons Carisbrook.
• 7.30pm. Brunswick Ark Meeting. Talk: ‘Men and Horses of the Australian Lighthorse’. ZOOM Meeting ID: 746 6644 9770. Passcode: BARK14
• 7.30pm. City of Abbotsford Chapter. At Collingwood.
• 7.30pm. Ivalda Lodge of Instruction. Specific Officer Training as required. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. United Ararat Lodge. Talk by Paul Moralee. At Ararat Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 13
• 10am. Allara Lodge. Installation by Magenta Team with Leonard Kelly.
• 6.30pm. Lord Northcote Lodge. Installation by Unanimity Team. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Brunswick United Lodge. First Degree. At Brunswick Masonic Centre. South at Moreland Hotel.
• 7pm. North Melbourne Lodge. Social Film Night: ‘The Courier’. At Village Cinema, Crown Casino, Southbank. $15. BOOK
• 7pm. University Lodge. Second Degree. At Freemasons Melbourne.
• 7.30pm. Brighton District Lodge. Second Degree. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Freemasons Bayside.• 7.30pm. Marnoo Lodge. Second Degree. At Stawell Masonic Centre.
Wednesday, April 14
• 7.30pm. Fairfield Lodge. Vacant Chair Ceremony. Talk on ANZAC. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Phillip Island Lodge. Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. Partners and guests welcome. At Cowes Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Traralgon Lodge. Obligation of Master-Elect. 40-Year Badges. Ladies In The South. At Latrobe Valley Masonic Centre, Traralgon.
• 7.30pm. Williamstown Lodge. Second Degree, Vacant Chair. At Williamstown Masonic Centre.
Thursday, April 15
• 9.15am for 9.30am. Sale Daylight Lodge. Obligation and Installation of Peter Hamilton by Country Grand Lodge Team with Chris Scott. At Sale Masonic Centre. Lunch at Sale RSL, $20. Book: David Aubrey, 0488 547 725.
• 11am. Samaritan (Daylight) Lodge, Ceremony of the Vacant Chair. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Albert Victor Lodge. Second Degree. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Victorian Naval and Military. At Freemasons Melbourne.
Friday, April 16
• TBA. South Australian Grand Installation.
• TBA. Army Lodge. Combined ANZAC Meeting. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. SEAVIC Lodge. Ark Presentation. At The Athenaeum Club, 87 Collins St, Melbourne. BOOK
• 7.30pm. The Diamond Valley Lodge. First Degree (Double). At Diamond Creek Masonic Centre.
Saturday, April 17
• 11am-3pm. Combined Lodges ANZAC Reunion Meeting. Cost: $50 for lunch and refreshments. Surplus funds to Legacy. Attire: Service Dress, Decorations, Sam Browne, Battle Dress, Lounge Suit (all with Medals) or Mess Dress (with Miniatures). At Ivalda Masonic Centre. RSVP: April 13. EMAIL
• 3pm. South Australian Grand Installation.
• 4pm. Koo Wee Rup Lodge. Installation by South Gippsland Team with Paul Vassil. At Koo Wee Rup Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Rupertswood Numurkah Lodge. Installation by North East Team with David Blake. At Numurkah Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Zetland Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with Bob Jones. At Freemasons Kyneton. Banquet at Shamrock Hotel, Kyneton. RSVP: April 10.
Sunday, April 18
• TBA. South Australian Grand Installation.
• TBA. Masonic Advancement Program. Third Degree. Attire: Casual Dress. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Melbourne High School Lodge. First Degree. At Melbourne High School.
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program. MAP3. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Monday, April 19
• 9.30am. Eureka Daylight Lodge. By 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Ballarat Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Lodge of Good Companions. Second Degree. At Waverley Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. St George Lodge. First Degree. At Dunolly Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Williamstown Chapter. At Freemasons Williamstown.
Tuesday, April 20
• TBA. Brunswick United Lodge. First Degree (Double). Jewel Presentation. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
• TBA. Combermere (English Constitution). Zoom meeting for members only.
• TBA. Elrona Lodge. Vacant Chair, Presentation of MM Certificate. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
• 10am. Dallas Brooks Lodge. Talk: Peter Russell, The ‘A Model’ Ford. At Wangaratta Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Ballarat-Yarowee Lodge. Installation by 2021 Ceremonial Team. 75-Year Jewel to Bill Messer. 65-Year Jewel to Max Matters. At Ballarat Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Moorabbin Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team. At Bayside Masonic Centre.
• 7.30pm. Lowan Lodge. First Degree. Attire: Full Regalia, no gloves. At Lowan Masonic Centre, Nhill.
Thursday, April 22
• TBA. Revival Lodge. Vacant Chair Ceremony. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Friday, April 23
• TBA. Victorian Lodge of Research. Installation. Peter Thornton Memorial Lecture.
Saturday, April 24
• 3pm. Garibaldi Lodge. Installation by 2021 Lodge with Matt Donato. At Essendon Masonic Centre.
• 4pm. Prince of Wales Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team. At Smythesdale Masonic Centre.
Sunday, April 25 – ANZAC Day
• Throughout Day. Dawn Service, Marches across Victoria.
Monday, April 26
• TBA. Metropolis Lodge. Vacant Chair. First Degree Tracing Board. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
• 9.30am. Derrimut Daylight Lodge. Installation by 2021 Team with Richard Elkington. At Freemasons Sunshine.
• 6.30pm. Baxter Lodge. 2021 Team with Tony Bucca. At Frankston and District Masonic Centre.
Tuesday, April 27
• TBA. Admiral Collingwood Lodge. Vacant Chair. 25-Year and 40-Year Badges. At Ivalda Masonic Centre.
• 6.30pm. Mt Franklin St George Lodge. Installation by 2021 Country Team with John McTaggart. At Freemasons Daylesford.
• 6.30pm. Warragul Lodge. Installation by Gippsland team with Chris Scott. At West Gippsland Masonic Centre, Warragul
• 7pm. Middle Park Lodge. First Degree. 60-year jewel to Chester Toogood. At Freemasons Melbourne. BOOKING ESSENTIAL
Wednesday, April 28
• TBA. Weston Street United Lodge. Master’s Last Night. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
• 7pm. Lodge Fraternal. Double First Degree. 50-Year Jewel for David Kweitel. At Freemasons Bayside.
• 7.30pm. King David Lodge. Double Second Degree. At Freemasons Bayside.
Thursday, April 29
• NIL. Endeavour Virtual Lodge (Online). No meeting this month.
Tuesday, May 4
• 7.30pm. Masonic Advancement Program MAP3. At Brunswick Masonic Centre.
Saturday, May 8
• 3.30pm. Old Melburnians Lodge. Installation of Will Billings. At Freemasons Bayside. 6.30pm. Festive Board. Partners and guests. At a private club, 22 Park St, Brighton.
Sunday, May 16
• 10am. Masonic Advancement Program MAP1. At Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Friday, May 21
• 7pm. Bayside District Lodges. 160th Anniversary Ball. Entertainment: Wilbur Wilde and the Troubleshooters, Kingsfords. Talk: Richard Elkington. In aid of Les Twentyman Foundation. BOOK
Saturday, June 19
• 9am-3pm. Lodge Secretary’s Course. By Eric Williams and Barry Reaper. Cost: $20. Lunch and refreshments provided. At Greensborough Masonic Centre. BOOK
• Secrets of the Masons (Part 1). WATCH
• Secrets of the Masons (Part 2). WATCH
• The Prime Ministers – Sir Robert Walpole (1721-1742). BBC. (13:43) LISTEN
• Reading: Smoking Ceremony for Kirrawee: READ
• Freemasons Victoria. Re-Opening Lodges: The Manual. Version 2. READ
• Freemasons Victoria. COVID-19 Modifications for Lodge Ceremonies. LOG INat Freemasons Victoria website
$250,079 for Good Friday Appeal
• Richard Elkington, Grand Master, appeared on Channel 7’s Good Friday Appeal telecast to present a $250,079 cheque from Freemasons Victoria and Uncle Bobs for the Royal Children’s Hospital. Teams of Freemasons collected at 7-Eleven and APCO outlets across Victoria. Throughout Good Friday, the GM visited collectors at a number of sites, and he later counted donations at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. He was accompanied all day by Taskforce Chair Gary Edwards.
A Good Word for …
• Edmond Mansour of Doutta Galla Lodge, each Thursday and Saturday evening, collects food from Sydney Rd restaurants and feeds the homeless sleeping under bridges in Melbourne.
Relaxing of Rules
• Garry Runge, Grand Secretary, has issued a notice about the relaxing of some rules during the COVID-19 recovery. This follows recommendations from the Freeemasons Victoria Future Recovery Team, headed by Tony Bucca, Deputy Grand Master. Garry emailed a circular to members last Thursday (Apr. 1).
• Last week’s Freemasons News from Grand Lodge sought Expressions of Interest from volunteers for the Welfare and Compassion VAT (Volunteer Action Team) and the Harmony VAT.
• John Cantrill, well known Masonic organist, and wife Cath, celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary this week.
• Geoff Newby, and wife Kathryn, are re-locating to Queensland permanently. Darrell Traplin takes over as District Co-Ordinator for Gippsland East District.
• At least one-in-five transactions at the Bunnings Mernda Sausage Sizzle held by Ivanhoe Grammarians Lodge on Easter Monday (Apr. 5) were paid by debit card or credit card, by customers using the Square reader device.
• Ange Kenos, Lodge of Commerce, also a member of the RSL State Executive, calls for volunteers for ANZAC Day. EMAIL
• We are building FVNews to be a vital guide to Masonry in Victoria. You can have your free copy emailed to your inbox. Use the ‘Subscribe’ option at www.FVNews.com.au
• Amongst those who assisted with contributions (and personal encouragement) have included: Neil Corlett, Richard Elkington, Gary Edwards, Jeff Cripps, Ken Porter, Nikolas Sakellaropoulos, Alan Mitchell, Ronen Jachimowicz, Brendan Kyne, Tony McDonall, Michael Fernando, Kevin Cross, Arthur Tan, Colin Randall, Robert Pullin, Peter Hamilton, Rhys Webb, Ross Broad, Andrew Karaconstantis, Bob Jones, Trevor Rowe, Adam Woledge, Gus Martonhelyi, Anthony Borg, Richard Burman, Ian Samuel, Greg Crew, John Zalewski, Silvio Mignone, Andrew Wassertheil.
Please Send Your Summons
• Lodges can assist FVNews by sending emails about every lodge meeting and event to editor@FVNews.com.au – please include us on your Lodge Summons mailing list.
Famous Masonic Characters
• A name that is mentioned in the publicly-available Quarterly Communication is Boaz. Wikipedia says: “Boaz is a biblical figure appearing in the Book of Ruth in the Hebrew Bible and in the genealogies of Jesus in the New Testament and also the name of a pillar in the portico of the historic Temple in Jerusalem. The word is found 24 times in the Scriptures, two being in Greek. The etymology of the name has been suggested by many as “in the strength of”, or “in him (is) strength” from the root “to be strong”, hence the use of the name “Boaz” for one of the pillars at the portico of the temple (1 Kings 7:21), although Biblical scholar Martin Noth preferred “of sharp mind”.”
• The Worshipful Master has the authority to:
• Rule any brother out of order on any subject at any time.
• Decide what can and cannot be discussed. Should a brother believe that the Master is arbitrary, unjust or unfair or is acting in an illegal manner, he can appeal to the Grand Secretary. If that officer agrees that the appeal is a valid one, he will forward the complaint to the Grand Master.
• If, however, that brother insists on speaking after the Master has ruled that he is out of order, he may be committing a Masonic offence.
– Adapted from Masonic-Lodge-of-Education.com
• “Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim.” – Bro. Clement Attlee.
The Last Word
• “The very idea of true patriotism is lost, and the term has been prostituted to the very worst of purposes. A patriot, sir! Why, patriots spring up like mushrooms!” – Bro. Sir Robert Walpole
INFORMATION TO KNOW
FVNews is published by VWor. Bro. Ash Long, Chair of the Communications and Marketing Volunteer Action Team of Freemasons Victoria. Phone: 0450 399 932.
FVNews is an opt-in email. If, for any reason, you would prefer not to receive our emails, simply reply to editor@FVNews.com.au or fill out the Unsubscribe form at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/ – type OPT OUT in the subject line, and please include your email address. Or use the unsubscribe option at https://fvnews.com.au/wp/subscribe/
DISCLAIMER: The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text of FVNews belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (Freemasons Victoria) organisation, committee or other group or individual. Readers should take all steps necessary to ascertain that information you receive from FVNews is correct and has been verified. FVNews assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this site. The information contained in FVNews is provided on an “as is” basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness